In 1488 the fountain provided the historic background for the ambassador sent by the Catholic King and Queen to pursue a peaceful surrender by Mojácar.
One can observe the commemorative plaque which recalls the interview between Garcilaso de la Vega and the Moorish mayor. The fountain was completely renovated in the 19th Century and had another makeover in the 1980s.
The most recent works changed the fountain’s traditional appearance for a more modern look. Next to the fountain Is the Municipal Centre of Modern Art, which was inaugurated in 2011.